Songs of 2019 #10

Kojaque : Flu Shot

I don't usually have much time for Hip Hop, at least in its current debased form, but Dublin rapper Kojaque somehow caught my attention.

For one thing, there seems to be honesty and integrity in his work. Flu shot is a good example, with Kojaque singing about being "tired of shopping at Aldi", but the line that cracks me everytime is the one where refers to dealing with Major Labels, and he says that he's "one step ahead of the Majors, I fuck myself in my sleep". You see, Kojaque runs his onw record label, thanks to a grant from a young entepreneurship scheme.

Apart from the clever self-mockery, what drives me to Kojaque is his music: he loves good old jazz, as demonstrated by his signing of a band like Five to Two, and has used samples from artists like Sun Ra in his songs. His jazz influences are also evident in the way he uses them in arranging his songs live. Flu Shot is a good example of how this passion for jazz can be channeled into a good Hip Hop song.

The other notable thing about singl Flu Shot is the video that went with it, a very good production, at times hilarious. So, well done Kojaque for your passion in good music and all that can be channelled through music.


No comments:

Post a Comment